Friday 7 March 2014

“One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.”

Jack Kerouac

So last night I finally finished my Shannon novella, Phantom Fears. Cue much rejoicing:


pakorn

It clocked in at just over 12k, which isn't a lot of words, really. Honestly, I don't even know if it's a good story. I like the themes and I love writing Shannon, but I'm pretty rusty. Phantom Fears is the first thing I've started and finished since my dad died in October 2012. That's quite a long time. I've started and abandoned a few projects since then, for sure, because my heart wasn't in them or I knew the idea just didn't pan out. Finishing something? That seemed impossible! So, regardless of how good or bad this novella is, I'm pretty proud of myself for just getting through from start to finish.

So my plan now is to figure out whether it's good, make it good (or better), and then submit it to Evernight Publishing as a free read and part of the Urban Wolf series. So fingers crossed!

The other thing I did this week that I'm really proud of is submit Undertow, the second Ethan Banning novel, to a publisher. Nothing may come of it, but I've spent so many years dithering over what to do with this book and I feel like I really have nothing to lose anymore. I'm not sure I have the energy to go into My Feelings over the series and its original publisher right now (nor I am sure it's wise to do so), but maybe if I get good news about Undertow down the line, I'll talk about it a bit.

Anyway, in the mean time, I'm just going to enjoy feeling like an Actual Writer again and decide what to work on next. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment