Saturday 9 July 2016

"A piece of art is never a finished work...

...It answers a question which has been asked, and asks a new question.” - Robert Engman

This morning I finished the final edits on THE NECROMANCER'S APPRENTICE, which, you may remember, is coming to Evernight soon as a free read! Huzzahs! Re-reading the story for the third or fourth time this year, I realised there's a lot of scope for a sequel. Whilst this is definitely a story that stands on its own, there are still questions woven in that spark my writerly interest and make me wonder what happens next in this world...

...And this is bad, because I really don't need to be adding more series to my pile. I'm still working on In Cold Blood (which is clearly not going to be a nice little 30k novella anymore), and then I'm going to move onto Blood Canticles 3 because I am dying to get back to Lola and Tristesse. I want to at least have made a solid start on the next Urban Wolf novel before the end of the year, and I also have an ongoing Amber Morgan series that I'm crazy about. Plus the last two books in the Deva Chronicles trilogy. That's before we even get to Crow Called and Mercy's Gate, which you'll see on the left under the Work in Progress header. I want to finish them too, eventually...

I also want to write some short stories about LESBIAN WEREBEARS because I cannot get that idea out of my head right now. So a sequel to a free urban fantasy short story that's actually already been published once is waaaaaaaaaay down the to-do list. But there are questions left for me with Evanthe and Morrow's story. At one point I did plan a whole series of shorts set in their world, but focusing on different couples. I even had about half of one written, but that story vanished when my first laptop finally gave up on life. I guess the first question that needs to be answered though is, does anyone else want more in this world? I won't know that for a while...So I think any potential sequels can stay on the back burner for a few months yet.

But! The fact remains that THE NECROMANCER'S APPRENTICE is edited, the dedication and excerpt have been sent to my publisher, and I'm eagerly awaiting the spanky new cover and release date. Can't wait to share those with you, and I can't wait to see Evanthe's story back in the world. Fingers crossed it won't be too long now!

No comments:

Post a Comment