Wednesday 20 September 2017

Writerly Wednesday - An Interview with Kathrine Wyvern

Happy hump day, folks! It's almost bed time here, but I'm pushing through the exhaustion of spending a day trying to hire a development chef to get this interview up, because I think this one you really want. Katherine Wyvern is here with her new release, WOMAN AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE. I can't wait to read this book - I think it's going to be something special. So without further ado, let's say hello to Katherine, Nina, and Julia/n.


Hi, Katherine!

Hello Naomi, and thank you so much for having me and my new release here on your blog today!!

You're welcome! Let's start with you telling us a little bit about your newest release. 

Woman as a Foreign Language is the first book I wrote after a four years writer’s block. I almost thought I had lost the will or ability to tell stories, and then suddenly this exploded in my mind, and HAD to be told. It is the story of two gender-queer persons who meet by chance and find that they complement each other perfectly. Nina is an almost incurable tomboy who is struggling to express her feminine side and Julia/n is a beautiful cross-dresser who sometimes just needs to just shrug out of his masculine identity and be a beautiful woman. They both have a lot of darkness behind them, and it was beautiful to watch them finding the light together.

I'm so intrigued by these characters, and have been since I heard the title of the book! Was there any part of this story you found particularly tough to write? If so, why?

Not so much tough but painful, yes. In the story it was obvious from the start that Nina came from a history of early bullying and abuse, and originally I had intended to leave that as a memory she has to cope with. But that made for a lot of “telling”, and finally I decided to have Nina still living with her mother, to “show” some of the stuff she had had to put up with. That was tough, because Nina’s story is partly autobiographical and I really felt on my skin that I was closing her in a very dark place. But of course this made the story much stronger, and when she finds her freedom it is that much more exhilarating.

On the flip side, is there any part of this story you absolutely love, and why?

All of it, I think! I am really passionate about this book! But I particularly love the way Nina’s vision of Julia as an almost supernatural being slowly adjusts around Julian’s more earthy and solid persona, and yet still retains some of that initial reverence. One of my favorite lines in the story is when Nina tells Julia/n, towards the end, “I love you. I have loved you since the first day I saw you. I thought you were a goddess. I still do.” And I love how Julian’s incredible control over his body, voice, eyes and generally himself slowly falls apart as he falls in love with Nina.

I can't wait to read that scene! Changing directions a little bit, do you have a favourite genre to write in?

Not really, I am hopelessly eclectic, in fact. I love Fantasy and Sci/fi for the wonderful opportunity they offer of creating alternate realities and worlds, but I am also happy writing the occasional contemporary story. I like to include LGBT relationships in my books, but I also like straight and simple FM stories.

So are there any genres you haven't tried yet that you really want to?

I have a couple of paranormal stories slowly simmering in the back of my mind… Each has a few pages or chapters written, but they are not quite “there” yet. I am looking forward to exploring the magic in them!

Ah, the "almost ready stories." I know them well. Who are your biggest influences – they don't have to just be literary ones!

I think, writing-wise, Antonia S. Byatt. It is really presumptuous to compare my writings to hers, but if there is one writer whose prose really infuses my own voice, that is her. Patrick O’Brian too. His more humorous bits of dialogue and narrative have me in stitches, and they are definitely a constant inspiration. Outside of books I’d have to say, my husband. All of the heroes in my story have something of him in them … in and out of bed !

AS Byatt has been on my "to try" list for years. A friend recommended her books and I've just never got round to them. If you could have dinner with any three writers, living or dead, who would they be?

John Keats. It is incredible to think that all his magnificent poetry was written when he was so unbelievably young. I think he must have been a tremendously intense and sensitive soul. Tolkien, of course, an all-time favorite of mine, although it worries me that he tended to mumble quite a bit, which would make table conversation rather difficult. And Bill Bryson because he’s been to a lot of places, and he sounds like fun, and any dinner party needs a guest like that!

True! Keep the conversation flowing. Are there any books you can just read over and over again and never get sick of?

The Lord of the Rings. The whole Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O’Brian. And Possession by Antonia Byatt.

Following on from that, if you could recommend any book (beside your own) to everyone reading this, what would it be?

There you have me. I have been trying to find similar stories to host on my blog, but I am not going anywhere! There is quite a lot of Transgender romance being (self)published, but they are often MM stories in disguise or sex-transition stories, which is not the case with WaaFL. So for now, I’d have to say that WaaFL seems rather unique!

It's definitely not a story I've come across before, which is one of the things that intrigues me about it. Okay, the hardball question: tea or coffee?

Both, but preferably beer.

I think that's cheating, but I'll allow it! And last but not least, apart from writing, what are your great passions in life?

I am an obsessively creative person, and I love to MAKE things. I have dabbled in lots of different artistic mediums in my life, painting, textile art, woodwork, even cob building! I also really love gardening and animals… I have three cats, a dog, two horses, and a flock of ducks!

Oh, fantastic! You're living my dream life! Now, having found out a bit more about Katherine, it's time to get a closer look at Nina and Julia/n. Read on for an excerpt! 

What do you do when the woman you want to be … is a man?

Nina’s abusive childhood left her feeling so vulnerable when wearing anything flimsier than combat boots that she has spent her whole adult life dressed like a gang boy. But when she meets the tall, glamourous, charismatic Julia (actually her cross-dressing neighbor, Julian, going out en femme), Nina is seized by an overwhelming and terrifying urge to finally express her own femininity.

Julia/n has not only a slightly split personality but also a thoroughly broken heart. What s/he wants most is a partner who will love both Julia and Julian. While Nina learns from Julia how to be a woman, Julian discovers that they might well be made for each other, but it will take a struggle against prejudice and a whole conservative mind-set before they can follow their hearts, and express their true, unique, and beautiful selves.

Click for more!




“Well, are we going out this evening or what?” asked Julia, seeing Nina sitting down still naked on the bed.

“Oh, it will take me two minutes to get ready,” said Nina, smiling up at her. “I am not such a woman as you,” she added, grinning impishly.

“Oh, indeed?” said Julia, and pinched her nose in passing, then went to the wardrobe to fish out some stockings, a pocket bra and breast forms. Boobs were invariably the first thing. She liked her body well enough, as a man or a woman, except for that flat chest. A girl should have tits, and a boy should have some muscle at least, but somehow, she had failed to achieve either. The sweet, soft, bouncy weight of the breast forms immediately made her feel better about herself. Stockings were always the next thing. Her legs were as smooth as silk in any case, but the sleek feel of stockings on them was almost an aphrodisiac. Time was, long ago, when she was much, much younger, when just wearing a pair of stockings would give her a hard-on. She was not such a green horn anymore, luckily, because the last thing she needed right now was an erection.

She stood in front of the floor-to-ceiling mirror, and pulled on her gaff half the way. She gently maneuvered her testicles back up to where they were before they dropped (if only they had stayed there, she thought despondently, and not for the first time), then gave her empty scrotum a slight twist and pushed it down and back towards her buttocks. She was on the point of tucking her penis down and under the same way (if she laid them side by side, they looked every bit like labia through her gaff … et voilĂ , instant pussy… more or less), when she caught sight of Nina’s eyes. Nina was still sitting on the bed, still naked, and gazing at her with those gorgeous gipsy eyes, studying everything Julia did and every inch of her body. Julia threw a look at her own lean, white figure in the mirror. She was standing with a hand between her legs and her gaff askew, half way between her knees and her hips, which felt somewhat less than graceful and dignified, and she wondered what Nina was seeing that was so entrancing.

“What?” she asked, smiling.

“Nothing. I did wonder where they went, when … you know.”

Julia grinned. “They don’t go very far, worry not.”

Nina stretched herself long, like a happy cat, still gazing hungrily at her, eating her with her eyes.

And suddenly Julia stiffened. “Oh dear,” she said.

“What?” asked Nina, in a somewhat comical echo of what Julia had said less than a minute earlier.

“Er … ahem. Stop looking at me. Just don’t. I can’t tuck it with a hard-on!”

Nina covered her face with her hands, vainly trying to suppress a fit of laughter. “I didn’t do anything. I didn’t!”

Julia was laughing too by now. It was hopeless. She let the whole lot hang out again and took two short steps to the bed (the gaff half-way up made it impossible to step out properly). She kneeled on the bed and started tickling Nina’s feet, the back of her knees and her sides.

“I didn’t do anything, I didn’t,” Nina repeated, between peals of laughter.

“Ah, but you were thinking, don’t deny that you were thinking.

“Ok, ok, maybe I was, a little bit, please stop, stop, please!” Nina turned on her side, and curled up in a tight ball, still shaking with laughter. Julia stopped tickling her and pushed her on her belly, wiggled out of the gaff, then straddled Nina’s small buttocks and leaned down to nuzzle her neck and the back of her head.

“What were you thinking, you imp? Mh? What were you thinking?”

She bit gently into Nina’s earlobe and kissed her cheek. Nina smiled beatifically.

“That you are an elf, an angel, a goddess.”

“A female-female she-goddess? Really, with all this embarrassment hanging out all over the place like this?”

She let her cock and her smooth, smooth balls brush Nina’s buttocks, smiled and kissed her again.

“Always. You will always be a goddess to me,” murmured Nina, drinking in the kisses, her eyes closed. Her hand searched for Julia’s hand, their fingers wove together of their own accord, and Nina drew the hand closer to kiss Julia’s fingertips one by one, adoringly. Julia smiled and pressed her breasts down on Nina’s back, rubbing them gently on her shoulder blades.

She kissed Nina again and again, on her temple, cheek, eyelid, nose, the corner of her mouth. She was so precious. Sleek, small-boned, but fierce and sharp, like a bird of prey, hooded and caged, but never quite tamed. And I have set you free, and you chose to fly to me.

“I love you. Darling,” she whispered in her ear, in her huskiest, deepest voice, and Nina shuddered all over while her spine gave a twist, as Julia knew it would. Nina turned under her, to hug her and draw her body down. Julia moved her knees within Nina’s legs, and just like that, without any difficulty, her untimely erection found a place to go.

So wet. How can you become so wet just by looking at me? What do you see that nobody else ever saw? What do you see that even I don’t see? Julia sank her face in Nina’s neck, to kiss her, bite her, whisper in her ear, yes, oh yes, whisper and murmur and cajole, until my voice will make you melt, my love, my love, my love.


You can also find an exclusive excerpt on my website, here:
And of course you can download the beginning of the story for free from Amazon!


Social Media:

Buy links, excerpts and samples:
Woman as a Foreign Language at Evernight:

Woman as a Foreign Language on Amazon.com:

No comments:

Post a Comment